I was planning to do strawberry daiquiri cupcakes for this week’s bake in wonder pot project but Mom requested to use our newly harvest passion fruit instead. I do not know any passion fruit cake recipes so I have to get the recipe from my trusty friend Google. I came across the website http://www.taste.com.au. I had few recipes bookmarked but decided to try passion fruit meringue cupcakes. Good thing I have already the ingredients I needed for the cupcakes. Unfortunately, no more eggs for the meringue.
I remember ten years ago when I first tasted passion fruit what came first to my mind was the taste of my favorite orange juice when I was a kid. Come to think of it, the manufacturer might have use more of the passion fruit juice than orange juice.
For those who have no idea about passion fruit. It is round to oval, either yellow or dark purple at maturity, with a soft to firm, juicy interior filled with numerous seeds. Fresh passion fruit is high in potassium, beta carotene and dietary fiber. Passion fruit juice is a good source of Vitamin C.
We had the yellow variety. I volunteered to wash, cut and get the pulp out of the fruits. Dad only need the juice. He wants it stored for future use. In order to prevent early fermentation he added sugar and boil the mixture. You can also make passion fruit wine.
Passion fruit cupcakes
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/3 flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup passion fruit pulp ( the original recipe called for 1/3 cup only)
1. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs and vanilla extract for 3 minutes or until mixture is combined.
2. Add passion fruit pulp. Beat until the pulp is fully combined with the mixture.
3. Spoon mixture into paper cupcakes.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until it pass the toothpick test.
5. Stand in pan for 5 minutes, then, transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
We had also some papaya so I made passion fruit papaya shake as well.
Passion fruit papaya shake
1 cup chopped papaya
1 cup passion fruit pulp
5 tsp sugar
1. Using a blender, put the papaya, and passion fruit pulp.
2. Add the ice cubes and sugar to taste.
A tasty and refreshing snack for a very humid afternoon.♥
Passion fruit Cheese Cake