When it comes to cupcakes, I have noticed people raves about red velvet cupcakes. I got curious in making them. It made me more determined to bake them when my friends and I watched Dark Knight Rises last August. There were homemade baked goodies being sold in the mall. I saw these red velvet cupcakes and they looked so delicious but I opted to get a Sans Rival since the red velvet cupcakes costs $2.50 just for a small piece.
Last week, I was able to get all the ingredients that I needed for making these special cupcakes. But instead of frosting it with the usual favorite cream cheese, I made vanilla frosting instead. Recipe used was adapted from Hummingbird.
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup buttermilk (1/2 cup fresh milk add 1/2 tbsp vinegar)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbsp red food coloring
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar and butter
3. Mix in the egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract and red food coloring until combined.
4. Stir in vinegar. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
5. Pour the batter into cupcake liners.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
7. Frost the cupcakes with vanilla or cream cheese frosting when cooled completely.
Creamy Vanilla Frosting
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk the flour into milk until smooth. Place over medium heat and stirring constantly, cook until mixture becomes very sticky and begins to bubble.
2. Cover with wax paper placed directly on the surface and cool to room temperature.
3. In a large bowl, on medium high-speed of an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth and creamy. Gradually, beating continuously until fluffy.
4. Add vanilla extract and beta well.
5. Add the cooled milk mixture and continues to beat on medium high-speed until very smooth.
6. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Frost the cupcakes. 🙂
HAVE A BITE!